Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Using QR Codes for a Gallery Walk

I'm currently finishing up a project for a class I'm taking to receive my GT endorsement.  The goal was to create a unit for gifted and talented students, so I took my first Social Studies unit (Reconstruction) and went to town.

One of my favorite activating strategies is to do a gallery walk.  A Gallery Walk is a great, kinesthetic strategy to activate knowledge about a topic.  During a gallery walk, questions and photos are posted around the room on chart paper, each containing a question or prompt for students to ponder on. Students move around the room, responding to their questions on their recording sheet.  They may also use sticky notes to respond directly on the chart paper.

One of my goals this year is to integrate more technology into daily instruction and learning, so an alternative method using iPads can be used.  

It's super easy to get this done!  What I did was create a separate word document for each image with a question I wanted students to respond to.  I uploaded those to my Google Drive and made sure the share settings were public.  Then I used www.qrstuff.com to create QR codes for each image.  I'll post these QR codes around the room and students can use a QR code reader to be directed to the first 4 images!

No comments:

Post a Comment